ORCL invest about $75M for 10% of MLNX
This is a very interesting development
- ORCL does not want to after the mega or small HPC business that use IB
- ORCL use IB in exadata and exalogic, may be this deal will cut the ORCL cost of IB, not sure Customer will see any cost saving.
- MLNX also provide the bridge chip on IB to 10ge/FC, may be one will see these technology in exadata/exalogic (Oracle just release new IB-10ge gateway switch (32 IB port and 8 10ge port))
- ORCL has 36, 72 , 648 port IB switch and 72 , 648 switch use 12x connector that are target HPC blade system. For exadata/exalogic system one may need switch size about 108,216 and 324 QSFP for customer that want 4-8 racks of exadata/exalogic system to reduce the complexity of IB cabling and for non-blocking CLOS IB fabric
- MLNX will also work to make sure IB work well on Solaris env