Oracle announce the Solaris 11 and Solaris 11 express
- Drop Sun Brand
- Virtually eliminate patching and update errors with new dependency-aware packaging tools that are aligned across the entire Oracle hardware and software stack to reduce maintenance overhead.
- Easily build a custom stack of Oracle Solaris and Oracle Software in a physical or virtual image to enforce enterprise quality and policy standards that speed deployment and ease maintenance.
- Reduce maintenance windows by eliminating the need for up to 50 percent of system restarts.
- Recover systems in tens of seconds versus tens of minutes with Fast Reboot.
- Receive proactive and preemptive support that reduces service outages from known issues via My Oracle Support telemetry integration with the Oracle Solaris in depth fault management architecture.
- The first Oracle Solaris 11 Express release, expected by the end of calendar year 2010, will provide customers with timely access to the latest Oracle Solaris 11 Express features with an optional Oracle support agreement. This release is expected to be the path forward for developers, end-users and partners using previous generations of earlier Solaris and OpenSolaris releases.
- Solaris 11 will be powering the newly announced Oracle Exadata X2-2 and X2-8 Database Machines, as well as the Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud machine. Customers invested in Oracle Solaris will find these new offerings very attractive to standardize their operating system and simplify their IT operations.